Thursday, January 12, 2006

Homelessness 101

Yesterday, I attended some training for volunteering with the homeless. As you might recall from my previous posts, I want to start a foundation that raises money for the homeless.

In order to start something like this, I think the first step would be to volunteer. The program I'll be volunteering for is for young homeless people.

The training involved reminders of common sense and it visited some common sterotypes of homelessness. One of the things that I didn't know was that there are a disproportionate amount of gay and lesbian homeless youth. It never occured to me, but I guess it makes sense. Parents become ashamed of their children and simply kick them out on the streets.

Another interesting aspect of the training was that some homeless girls act and dress more masculine. This is not because they are lesbian, but because it doesn't make them targets for sexual predators. I've never heard of that before, but it's a smart adaptation to street life.

Friday will be my first day in volunteering. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment