Saturday, September 17, 2005

Phone scam

I think someone just tried to phone scam me. Perhaps you should read this just in case. Here's the pitch:


I am a special customer and I have just been selected as one winner out of 500 to win $500 for use anywhere in the United States. The company offering this prize is Star Communications, the governing body for all malls, groceries, gas stations.


His name is Dean Jones with employee ID 1424. All I need to do is give $4.95 for shipping and handling along with my check account number. This will be a legitimate bank to bank transfer of funds which will be verified by my bank. I will also receive a Legal tracking number.

OK, this already sounds suspicious. Instead of hanging up on him, I decide to do some probing. Here's the results of my probing.


Obvious: His name is "Dean Jones"
He sounds Indian. No Indian I know with a hard accent has such an American name.


I ask him for a company webiste
He says his company isn't consumer facing, so it does not have a site.


I ask him for a phone number to call them back
I'll get it after I give my account number.


He says giving account numbers is harmless
So I ask him for his. He said he's also with same bank. He gives me this number: 32966744. Of course that's not the right format for my bank so I ask him to repeat it. He says "76999674". That trick was used in Good Will Hunting except Will got it right.


I A9'd his claims while talking to him
I found these fraud links:
Mercury News
Better Business Bureau
I read what other people were saying to Dean Jones.


He says he's trustworthy and absolutely legitimate
I manage to squeeze out of him that he's been doing this for 9 years. So I tell him, "If you've been doing this for 9 years, then how can I be one of 500 people to win? There must be thousands".


At that point, this guy is completely frustrated with me. I've called his bluff. He then says (yelling), "Are you sure you are over 18, you sound like you are a high school drop out. Bye!"


As I hang up the phone, I break up in laughter. When telemarketers call I usually have fun with them. It's the same with "Dean Jones" the scammer. I encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment